A few days ago, I did a sponsored Instagram post with Sara Lee to promote their new Delightful™ White Made with Whole Grain Bread. In the spirit of the season, my recipe was a Whole Wheat Bread Apple Cranberry Stuffing that is perfect for this week’s turkey. It was super easy to make and so delicious. It includes a lot of my favorite thanksgiving ingredients with lots of spices. Read through and try it for yourself below!
Whole Wheat Bread Apple Cranberry Stuffing Recipe
- 8 to 9 ounces whole wheat bread (with crusts), cut into 3/4 to 1-inch cubes (4 to 5 cups)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed dried sage
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chicken stock
- One tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Oil or butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Place cubed bread in a large bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet.
- Add the 1 chopped onion and 2 stalks of celery diced and cook, stirring until onion is tender. (About 5 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper and scrape into the bowl with the bread.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the bowl and add 1 tablespoon of minced sage, 1/2 cup of dried cranberries, 2 teaspoons of minced thyme, 1/4 cup of chopped parsley, and 1 diced apple. Don’t add the egg and chicken stock yet!
- Season with salt and pepper and toss well.
- Beat egg in a small bowl and whisk in 1/2 cup of stock.
- Scrape into bread mixture and mix together well.
- Turn into a prepared baking dish and douse mixture with the remaining 1/2 cup of stock.
- Dot top with butter.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 15 minutes, until the top is browned.
- You can serve hot or freeze until Thanksgiving and reheat!