Another week, another recipe whipped up! This time it’s homemade pretzel bites and beer cheese. Such a fun appetizer, perfect for a spring happy hour! If you have some time on your hands and want to make something yummy from scratch, this is it. This process is long and a little complicated, but if we can make it, you can make it! I’m no master chef and not great in the kitchen but these turned out pretty good! There are some things I’d do differently this time but it’s trial and error and making to your specific taste. Check it out!
Spring Happy Hour: Homemade Pretzel Bites and Beer Cheese Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups of warm milk
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 9 cups of water
- 4 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- Whisk together warm milk, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the active dry yeast on the top of the mixing bowl and wait a couple of minutes for the yeast to activate.
- Knead the dough on a countertop or cutting board.
- Add the flour and melted butter to the dough.
- Stir and mix the mixture by hand until everything is combined.
- Use your hands to knead the dough until it’s smooth.
- If the dough is too sticky, add some additional flour.
- Let the dough sit and rise.
- Place the dough a bowl that’s been lightly oiled, cover with a damp towel and let the dough sit for half an hour in a warm place.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, heat the oven to 450ºF.
- Find two large baking sheets and line with parchment paper.
- While the dough is sitting and the oven is heating, combine the water and baking soda in a large saucepan and put on medium heat until it boils.
- Once the dough has risen, put on an oiled surface and divide it into 12 pieces (make sure they’re equal).
- Roll out each piece into 3/4 inch ropes.
- Use a knife to cut the rope into individual pretzel bites and boil in the water/baking soda mixture.
- You can put as many as can fit in the water and let them sit for 30 seconds.
- Then put the pretzel bites on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Put the large egg in a small bowl and whisk with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the pretzel bites and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Eat fresh out of the oven and enjoy!
- Butter – 2 Tablespoons
- Flour – 2 Tablespoons
- Beer (we used Budweiser since it’s all we had) – 1 Cup
- Milk (we used skim but any type of milk works) – 1/2 Cup
- Shredded Cheese (Gouda and Cheddar) – 2 Cups, half one cheese and half another. And buy a block and shred it yourself!
- Dijon – 1 1/2 Teaspoons
- Worcestershire Sauce – 1 Teaspoon
- Smoked. Paprika – 1/2 Teaspoon
- Salt – To Taste
- Pepper – To Taste
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan until melted.
- Add in the flour and whisk until combined.
- Add in beer, milk, Dijon Mustard, Worcestershire Sauce, and Smoked Paprika.
- Whisk until combined.
- Let the mixture sit until it’s thickened.
- Add cheese and whisk until combined.
- Turn the heat down to low and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!
Have a fabulous weekend!