This post about spray tanning tips & tricks is in collaboration with Sun Tan City. All thoughts are my own.
This past year, after being pale and pasty for more of my life, I tried spray tanning. I have to say I love it! It’s been nice having a summer glow without being in the sun or a tanning bed. I’ve been going to Sun Tan City since April and in the 5 months I’ve been going, I’ve picked up on a few spray tanning tips & tricks. I thought I’d share a few with you in today’s post!
Spray Tanning Tips & Tricks
- Exfoliate and shave a day before – Get rid of all the dry skin and rough patches and shave your legs 24 hours before. This will help your tan look smooth and goddess-like!
- Paint your nails before – Whether it’s a clear coat or a color, this helps protect your nails from discoloration.
- Bring makeup remover wipes – I usually head to the tanning bed at the end of the day so I bring makeup remover wipes to get rid of my makeup. I also use them after the tan on my feet and hands since they can tan a little funky sometimes.
- Don’t wear a bra on your way out – Typically you wear dark, loose clothing after a spray tan. I usually have basketball shorts, thong flip flops, and an oversized tee. I also don’t wear an underwire bra since it can mess with your tan.
- Apply the barrier cream provided – Sun Tan City provides barrier cream for your hands and feet. Make sure you use it! I normally put a lot on in an even coat. It definitely helps!
- Go at night – Go after the workday or after socializing is done. That way you can put on your loose clothing, go home, sleep and wake up in the morning and shower. Your tan usually looks best after it sits for 10-12 hours.
- Stay out of the water – Most of us get spray tans before going to the beach or a tropical location but chlorine and seawater make your tan fade faster. I once spent the day in the pool and my tan was gone from the waist down but tan from the waist up!
- Avoid shaving or exfoliating for a few days – when you’re showering your tan off just put body wash straight on your hands to wash. Exfoliating and shaving cause your tan to fade quicker since you’re getting rid of a layer of skin.
- Keep knees and elbows slightly bent when getting your tan – My knees and elbows look crazy if I don’t keep them slightly bent while getting a spray tan. This lets the tan get into all the weird crevices that your knees and elbows have!
- It doesn’t have to be summer to have a tan – Enjoy your PSL’s and the fall leaves with a little glow! You don’t have to go too dark in the fall and winter but I think it’s nice having a glow for the holidays!
I get my spray tans at Sun Tan City. They have a few upcoming promotions in June/July that are great!
- Tan for a Year for Only $10 a Month
- Unlimited Spray Tans for a Year – $29 a Month
- Trade-In Event for Lotion until June 30