I did a sponsored Instagram post with Smithfield on how-to make these potato apple hash browns but wanted to follow up with a blog post to go into more detail on how to make this. These hash browns are a great side dish or breakfast dish and were incredibly easy to make. The thing that took me the longest was peeling the potatoes! Check out the recipe below as well as some photos to show the full process.
Smithfield Pork Recipe: Potato Apple Hash Browns
- Smithfield® Applewood Smoked Bacon Marinated Fresh Pork Loin Filet
- 1 large potato or sweet potato or 2 medium ones, peeled and diced
- 1 large apple diced (I used Gala apples)
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp coconut oil – separated
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp organic coconut sugar
- 5 strips of bacon (baked in the oven)
- Turn oven on 350ºF. When warm, add five strips of bacon to a foil-lined pan and stick in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat a large, seasoned cast iron pan over medium heat and add 2 tbsp of the coconut oil.
- While potatoes are cooking, take pork and cut into small pieces. Saute until pork is cooked.
- Add 1 teaspoon of coconut sugar.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes or until the apples and potatoes are brown. Adjust the heat of your stovetop as necessary to avoid burning.
- When bacon is done cooking, crumble and add to the pan with the pork and stir and let the juices cook together.
- Add pork and bacon to potatoes and apple. Stir and let ingredients combine for two minutes.
- Once the dish is done, remove from heat and stir in the cinnamon. Let cool a bit and then serve warm.