Is it just me or has anyone else not been sleeping well lately? With all of the chaos around COVID-19, it’s hard for me to sleep well and I end up lying awake most of the night. I’m not scared or anxious of the virus itself; my husband and I have been home and take all the precautions. What’s been hard for me is not knowing when life will return to “normal”. When I can travel, go to a hockey game, see my friends, hug my grandma.
A week ago I decided to try some things to switch up in my sleep routine to help me sleep better at night. Check out my home remedies for good sleep at night during COVID-19.
Home Remedies for Good Sleep During COVID-19: 5 Essential Tips
- Turn Off Your Screen(s) As Soon as You Get in Bed – I’m the type of person who usually falls asleep holding my phone. But with everyone talking about the virus so much that looking at my phone just made my anxiety worse before bed. So now, I put my screens away and try to read or pray until I start dozing off.
- Make Your Room Quiet and Comfortable – Since we’ve been spending so much time at home I’ve been changing our sheets once a week and washing the duvet covers more too. A fresh and clean bed makes so much of a difference when you’re trying to sleep. Also, keep your room quiet at night. This will help turn off some of the noise in your brain and allow you to rest.
- Establish a Night Time Routine – Before this, I never had a nighttime routine. I’d sometimes wash my make-up off and work until it was necessary. Now, I take a shower, wash my face, apply retinol, moisturizer and under-eye cream and use my jade roller to allow my skin to soak everything up. Then I turn on my heating pad, take melatonin, let the dogs get settled, put on my chin strap and retainer and read. This routine tells my body it’s time for bed and I can start relaxing.
- Set Your Alarm, Get Up and Exercise Every Day – These past couple of weeks have felt like the week between Christmas and New Year’s. The days run together and it’s like the Wild West, there aren’t any rules besides stay home. It’s easy to sleep in all day. It’s important to set your alarm and get up and start your day at the same time. Routine is essential! Exercising every day has helped with my anxiety too. My workout studio has moved all their workouts online so I can get a sweat in every day.
- Stop Drinking Before Bed – Yes, it seems like that glass of wine is helping you calm down. Yes, it makes you sleepy but your sleep will be altered and you’ll find yourself right back where you started. I’ve been keeping water next to my bed to keep me hydrated during the night. Plus with water, you feel much better in the morning.
What are some of your favorite home remedies for good sleep? Let me know in a comment below!