This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #GreenMountainGoodness
In case you haven’t noticed, I love my two dogs, Gatsby and Fitzgeraldine (Fitzy). In December 2013 my husband and I moved into our first home. We got settled and unpacked and made our monthly visit to our local humane society. We would go once a month and pet the dogs, take them for a walk or play with them. It settled our puppy fever since our apartment at the time didn’t allow pets.
Well, the weekend we moved in, we walked in the pet shelter and were told that it was their ‘Black Friday’ sale. All of the black animals were $25 since they’re harder to adopt than most. Since black dogs normally have dark eyes, some say they’re harder to read and they might be aggressive. It’s also a superstitious thing! Well, the second we stepped into the back room, the crates erupted into barks and tail wags, except for one. Gatsby was sitting in her crate just looking at us. She cocked her head to one side and it was history.
The next thing we knew we were taking her home! We always say she’s the best $25 we ever spent. Fast forward 5 years, my cousin who owns an animal shelter found a black lab puppy in a box on the side of the road. Then came Fitzy! Pet adoption from shelters is close to my heart and something I’m a big advocate for.
love advocating for others to adopt shelter pets and I love supporting companies who advocate and do good for the world too. One of my favorites? Green Mountain Coffee Roasters®.
You can find Green Mountain Coffee Roasters at your local Walmart and my two favorite flavors are the 24 count pod boxes of the Nantucket Blend and Caramel Vanilla Cream. These flavors are so rich and smooth. I like to think of myself as a coffee aficionado and love enjoying amazing products from a brand that does amazing things for the world.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters give back in a variety of ways. A few organizations they support include Sumatran Seedling Program, Clean Drinking Water with Blue Harvest, Survival of Coffee with World Coffee Research, and Financing Farmer’s Businesses with Root Capital. You can learn all about their efforts to do good here.
If you want to do good like Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, below are a few ways how to give back to your local animal shelter.
How to Give Back to Your Local Animal Shelter
- Time – Volunteer your time. Call your local animal shelter and see what they need. Maybe it’s someone to clean, or walk and play with dogs and cats!
- Supplies – Shelters always need food (wet and dry), pet beds, litter (clumping and non-clay), collars, leashes, water and food bowls, toys, treats, and grooming products like shampoo and brushes. In addition to items for the animals, shelters also need cleaning supplies, paper towels, newspaper, and blankets.
- Skills – Are you a videographer or photographer? Maybe you’re great at marketing or event planning. Animal shelters need all sorts of skills donated.
- Foster – If you have time and space in your home, try fostering a pet! It’s a great way to help out a local shelter and having a furry friend in your home for a short time period.
- Money – If you don’t have time and want an easy way to give back you can always donate some money! I’ve also been to birthday parties and weddings where they ask for donations to a local shelter in lieu of gifts.
There you have it! An easy way to do some good in the world. Green Mountain Coffee Roasters motto is goodness always tastes better. Like I mentioned above, Walmart is the best place to get Green Mountain Coffee Roasters. You can order it through Online Grocery Pickup, Walmart.com, or go in-store! When you’re at Walmart picking up your coffee, go ahead and pick up some supplies for your local animal shelter!
I love how you mixed these together! I had no idea about black dogs. That’s so sad! Adopt don’t shop!
Sarah Lindner says
My pup is my life so I appreciate this post. Yours is such a cutie! xoxo, Sarah
Aw this is such an awesome initiative!! I wonder if Walmart Canada does it too – I’ll have to look into it! Also loved reading about Gatsby’s adoption story – so sweet! <3
I’ve never heard of an animal shelter having a black friday but you got lucky! Definitely $25 well spent! Thank you for sharing how to give back! I would love to give back to our local shelters!
We have a black dog, too, and she is so sweet. I feel the same way as you about animal shelters! #client
Stephanie Whitman says
Awww I loved hearing the story about your two pups. So sweet! I also appreciated your tips here. It’s super important to take care of pets, even those without a home (yet). My husband worked for the SPCA for a while, and it was such an incredible job that informed us so much about shelters. I’m grateful for individuals like you who take the time to be generous towards animals!
How awesome is giving back! I had no idea this was a thing! Thank you for sharing!!
cute & little
such a great initiative! We always donate food, blankets & towels to the shelter!
Ahhh…anything with dogs makes my mama-heart pounce! Love my lab! Everytime I go to the shelter I want to take them all home!
Your babies are beautiful! it’s sad people would pass up a wonderful dog simply based on color. Thanks for sharing all the ways we can help support our local shelters!
Chic on the Cheap
1. Your dogs are so sweet! I love that you adopted– I’m a big advocate for shelter adoptions as well.
2. I had no clue Green Mountain Coffee gave back in this way, I love supporting brands and companies that do good! Thanks for sharing!!
Anna English says
I love when brands/ retailers give back! This is such a good cause.