This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PurinaONEPets #CollectiveBias
In case you missed it, we added a new four-legged member to our family a few months ago. We’ve been adjusting to life with Fitzgeraldine, AKA Fitzy, and life with a 9-month-old Labradane puppy. Gatsby, our five-year-old Doxadore, is still a little unsure of her “little” sister. Gatsby loves having someone to play with whenever she wants but doesn’t like sharing mom and dad’s attention!
One thing I forgot about taking care of a puppy is the home routine. I’m so used to Gatbsy being laid back and low-maintenance, getting back in the new routine can be tough. Over the past several months, our routine has been key. Today I’m going to share how to start a healthy new home routine and what we do to keep our pups happy and healthy.
6 Steps to a Healthy Home Routine with Purina:
1.Start the morning off with snuggles. I know I’m crazy but I’ve always loved sleeping with my dogs. It’s so much fun being woken up in the morning with a wet nose and wagging tail. My mornings start with loving on the girls and petting them! Everyone starts the day is a warm and loving way and it’s the best way to start a day.
2. Morning walks and exercise. After breakfast, the girls go for a walk around the neighborhood. We live across the street from an elementary school so they see the school buses and kids going in, sometimes they get a pet from a teacher or crossing guard who is close by. This is a great way for Gatsby and Fitzy to let out some energy before I start the work day!
The rest of the morning is spent napping and playing with each other. The girls have to be touching me or close to me at all times, so if I’m on the L shaped couch they both can be close enough and nap while I work.
I’m so lucky that I work at home. When Tim and I both worked in an office, I would feel awful that Gatsby was stuck in a crate most of the day. Fitzy has only ever known us at home and it makes all the difference.
3. Make the crate a happy place. Crate training is hard, and I’m no master, but the girls are crazy if I leave them out. Gatsby has such bad separation anxiety that she’s destroyed many a pillow and bed when left out. The girls each have a crate with a bed, water, and a toy. Once we got past the initial crate training struggle, the girls will go in there and nap if they need some “alone” time. If I go out for a meeting or event, they’re content in their crates and go in without protest. Just make sure they eat and go out before a long stint. I never leave the girls in for more than 4 hours, if you leave a dog in there any longer, have a friend or family member come let them out for a potty break and exercise.
4. Make sure they go out at the same time every day. We’re still adjusting to this since Fitzy is still a puppy. We were going out every two hours but now we’ve moved it up to 3-4. The girls have ways of telling us if it’s an emergency (they both sit by the side door), but they’re used to going out at certain times and come and “bug” us if it’s close to time. Right now their times are 8 a.m., noon, 4 p.m, 8 p.m. and midnight (if we’re still awake). I understand that life happens and schedules get crazy but we try to keep them as close to the schedule as possible.
5. Lots of running and playing. Fitzy is a growing girl and a puppy, she can’t play inside all the time. Fitz loves to run and hang outside. We have a fenced in backyard and she prances and jumps around with Gatsby any chance they get. If the day is nice I take my coffee and computer outside and let them play for an hour or so. We also take Fitzy to our local dog park so she can play and interact with other doggies. When the girls are played out and tired, this I feel like my job is done!
6. Feed them at the same time every day and be consistent with their food. The girls eat 3 times a day, Fitzy has a cup each time and Gatsby’s varies on her weight and what the vet recommends. They eat at 9 a.m., 4 p.m. and 9 p.m.
Fitzy just turned 9 months old, so we’ve been transitioning her from her puppy food to the same Purina ONE® food that Gatsby eats. For us, it’s just easier having the girls eat the same food so we’re not constantly having to buy two different foods. But if you do have dogs in different stages, Purina ONE® products come in formulas for all life stages.
Gatsby eats the Purina ONE® SmartBlend Chicken & Rice Adult Dry Dog Food so we started the 28-Day Challenge with Fitzy. What I like about Purina ONE® is that every ingredient has a purpose. Purina ONE® food is formulated with high-quality real meat, poultry or fish – to help support strong muscles and a healthy heart. Exactly what my growing girl needs! It’s amazing to see the progress Fitzy went through during the 28-day challenge.
- DAY 1+: CLEAN BOWL CLUB
- Starting with your dog’s first full bowl of Purina ONE®, you could see more excitement around mealtime, thanks to the crunchy bites & tender, meaty morsels that help keep your dog coming back meal after meal.
- DAY 7+: ENERGY YOU CAN SEE
- The SmartBlend® of nutrition in every bag helps support your dog’s healthy energy. He may want to play longer and he may be happier overall.
- DAY 14+: HIGH DIGESTIBILITY
- Purina ONE® formulas* are easy to digest and promote high nutrient absorption, so more nutrition goes to work inside your dog. (*excluding Healthy Weight Formula)
- DAY 21+: BRIGHT EYES, HEALTHY SKIN & COAT
- Look for clear, alert eyes and a healthy skin and coat, supported by omega-6 fatty acids, vitamins & minerals.
- By now, you may already see positive changes in his whole body health, and the high-quality nutrition of Purina ONE® will help support your dog’s immune system for years to come
Products in the Purina ONE® line are targeted formulas to meet your pet’s special needs. Purina ONE® is a mix of vitamins and minerals designed to bring balanced nutrition, support a healthy immune system and promote a shiny, healthy coat. This was the biggest thing I noticed in Fitzy, her coat was so smooth and pretty after 28 days!
Purina ONE® products are available in both Cat and Dog formulas and in both Dry and Wet varieties. Take the Purina ONE® 28-Day Challenge You could see results in 28 days when you make the switch to Purina ONE®. Sign up now to get a $3 off coupon and a personalized food recommendation for your pet! You also can receive 5% off + free shipping when you subscribe to Purina ONE® at Target!
Now, through 10/6, save $10 when you spend $40 on Purina ONE® Dry Dog and Cat Food and other Purina ONE® pet care at Target. You can also print a coupon from 9/19 – 10-13 for a FREE $5 Target GiftCard™ with a Purina pet food, litter, and/or treats with the purchase of $25 or more.
You can also find more Purina inspiration here!